Saturday 8 April 2023

A Falling Accident to beat all Accidents

 

Most people would agree that we all have good and bad days. However, last Tuesday, no exaggeration, having pure luck on my side, came close to death. I deliver an older family member's groceries once every week. She lives in the Dandenong Ranges, which are considered big hills or small mountains. I'd not explain why I no longer drive and prefer public transport. (traveling by bus and train gives me much reading time). Her place is about 1 hour from my current dwelling. 

Trains are a perfect mode of transport because mostly the passengers are either reading newspapers or have their faces planted in their cell phones. Nothing is better than reading a good book amongst a silent crowd and admiring the passing scenery through the window. 

My family member lives on a hill. Carrying bags of groceries up her driveway is a difficult task. Finally arriving, putting all vegetables and coffee away, we had our traditional chat. Two subjects we always talk about are politics and music. She is conservative (would have voted for Trump), and I have been a left-wing union man for many years. Our political discussions can become heated. Music is a different story. We love hard rock, 70's, 80's, and 90's, including jazz and the 18/19th-century classics: Mozart, Bach, Chopin, and Rachmaninov. Anyway, I stayed there longer than usual. Due to daylight savings time, the sky was turning into night. I thought, 'I'll take the shortcut out the back.' Bad decision. 

A steep trail up the back ends at the main road. This was a logical choice because the bus stop was only a kilometer away. I managed to get to the top. Then, reaching for a minor traffic pole, the damn thing gave way, and going backward, I tumbled down a very steep hill. The problem is that a 7 (feet) by 3 hard rubbish skip was buried in the ground at the bottom. I fell right into it, crashing my head against the edge, then all went black. 

Loss of time. Absolute darkness. I must have been unconscious. It felt at the time I was in a coffin. Coming to my senses, I reached into my pocket and found my lighter. Old lawnmowers and car parts surrounded me. Looking up, I could see the trees. 'How do I get out of here?' 

Feeling my head and face, blood was everywhere, and I was still bleeding. Pulling my shoe off, I removed my sock and held it to my head to stop the bleeding. Looking for a way out, a 7 feet climb after an hour, I escaped my coffin. There is no light in the hills. So I listened for any traffic, finally heard a car, and headed easterly. After about 30 minutes, I found my family members' house. Her door was unlocked, so I walked in. Because of the blood and my injuries, she freaked out. I said, 

'I need some help.' 

Cleaning the blood off my wound, she stated she would call an ambulance. 

'No!' I said. 'I don't have my backpack: no ID, debit cards, or Medicare card.'

In and out of sleep all night, once first light, I retraced my steps and found my backpack halfway down the ravine. Grabbing a large stick, I fished the bag out. ( I couldn't find my hat). Then, I called a taxi and went to the nearest Emergency Room rather than call an ambulance.  

After 6 hours, an MRI, and 2 eye examinations, my eye socket, nose, and cheek were fractured. Because of the fall, my whole body is bruised, and my left arm requires physiotherapy. 

Like 99% of humans, I despise pain. 

This is certainly not my best Easter.

I needed to write about this experience. 

There are good and bad days, which for me, is undoubtedly the latter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dir. John Cromwell – Enchanted Cottage (1945) - Comment.

  This is the first film I have ever seen that begins with a 10 minute `Overture'; the music is excellent and the composer, Max Steiner...