Thursday 15 October 2020

Is Lying ever Justified?

 An ethical question:

Before making this entry, my plan was to expound on the subject of dishonesty and, if lying in any situation or even life-saving situations, is ever truly justified.
I've changed my mind.
After thinking about the subject, having to describe Kant's Categorical Imperative to argue one way or the other has been done way too many times; however, in the last month or so, I've caught people lying, and in varying forms of grey to black, and their response was always surprising when confronting them with their deception.
More often than not, those caught would continue lying to cover the discovered lie...and so it goes...lie upon lie.
What did Hamlet say: "What a tangled web we weave when first we practice deceiving."
In other words, the more one lies, the easier it becomes, and farther into the hole one slides.
This week I attended a Renting Tribunal because I believe lies have been put forth to attain my money.
The magistrate directed us to the Bible, placing our respective right hands upon the holy text and swear NOT to lie. This we did.
The first question from the magistrate was: "Has Mr. Middleton seen the photographs and paperwork related to this case?"
The woman stammered, tried to lie, then caught herself vomiting nonsense. (She had just sworn Not to lie.)
He put his hand up, gesturing to the stammering woman to stop talking.
He turned to me, "Mr. Middleton, have you seen the photographs and the landlords case?"
"No, sir."
"Mr. Middleton, I see you have written material in front of you. Do you wish to address this Tribunal?"
I read half a page but was stopped because "counterclaims" were being made. Thus the case will have to continue at a later date.
I have much lesser examples, lies about things in which lying was not necessary, but the individuals lied anyway. In certain circles, this is called "Pathological Lying."
This week and last week, I've come across too many examples to mention here. My point, however, is society growing less intolerant to dishonesty?
Perhaps.
Are we becoming a society of cowards, where everyone lies from the highest government levels down to an uneducated, twenty-something Real Estate Agent bullying her way to make an extra buck?
Without truth, there is no trust, and without trust, there is no justice or love for that matter.
Are there situations in life that one encounters that justify lying?
Maybe, but that discussion is for another time.
Image of inspiration for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dir. John Cromwell – Enchanted Cottage (1945) - Comment.

  This is the first film I have ever seen that begins with a 10 minute `Overture'; the music is excellent and the composer, Max Steiner...