Friday 6 September 2019

Scientology and Me


For all my fictional novel attempts, short stories, copyrighting, essays and reviews written since escaping Scientology over 32 years ago, I have never written about my experiences, spanning 9 years in the Cult. Scientology during the late 70's in Southern California, turned out to be a “hot” time for the organisation. It was a muggy day in July, 1977, when I drove to Tustin from my flat in Costa Mesa, living with my father after the recent death of my little sister, Christine. The FBI had raided the LA headquarters, and removed all their files, looking for something. What were the FBI looking for, and why would they raid a “church”? The Mission directors wife, a beautiful 30 something, approached me and said, it was an evil government, wanting to destroy the “truth”. I believed her, and continued to believe the lies for almost a decade, until my escape from the cult in 1986.

The truth turned out to be the opposite.

Scientology has a 'spy wing' in the organisation. In the 70's, it was called the Guardians Office. During the early 70's, Scientology began an all out assault on the US government. The reason was the tax exempt status for the Church as a religion, was removed in the late 60's. The organisation owed the government millions in tax. Scientology's founder, L. Ron Hubbard was the government's target. The church's clandestine operation failure revealed, and along with others, Hubbard's wife was put in prison. In 1977, the US government had enough evidence to close down this cult. But didn't.

Why?

Many people have asked me why I remained in the cult after realising Scientology is the most successful con in history?

This book explores this question.

In the last 10 years, many Scientology insiders have decided to come out with their story, despite knowing the push back and abuse from the church. The “fair game” policy is real, and many people have experienced this evil policy. I will explore this policy in detail as my confession unfolds.


***


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dir. John Cromwell – Enchanted Cottage (1945) - Comment.

  This is the first film I have ever seen that begins with a 10 minute `Overture'; the music is excellent and the composer, Max Steiner...