Sunday 2 September 2018

Why I care?


All my life, mostly as an adult, I have been criticized for having worldly concerns. The old adage: nurture your own garden before commenting on other's, comes to mind, or the question, “You are doing fine, why are concerned about wars in other countries?” Again: the Palestinians and the Israelis have been fighting for ever, why do you care?

After self examination, and simply being aware of these crimes against humanity, a hole the size of a baseball manifests in my gut, and a strong desire to do something about it explodes in consciousness.

It has always been that way, since first seeing on the television, young Vietnamese children burning from the blasts of napalm, rocketing down from American planes. Reading history, and seeing photographs of concentration camp Jews, starving to death, parents separated from their children, and the huge humiliation of it all. Remembering the first time I learned about the dropping of the Atom bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, at the time, brought me to tears. How could human beings bring that much destruction and suffering on their fellow human beings, and somehow justify it as noble, ethical and right? But why do you worry about things that you can do nothing about? You were not even born during WW2. And Vietnam, well,you were a child. There is nothing you can do about it. There will always be wars. Sit back and enjoy your life! Sorry, I can't do that. There is an aspect of my nature that prevents me from looking away. There is an aspect of myself that connects me to the pain...

Many years ago, my son, Weston, wrote a long letter to me describing his perspectives on life. Because we had been separated for some years, (a story for another time) I requested this autobiography, because I really needed to know what kind of man he was evolving into. He came back with an erudite and mature view of the world, despite only being in his early twenties. Weston's habit was this: he carried around Benjamin Franklin's booklet on practising the Virtues. If you are not aware of this treatise, Ben would, every morning write down a specific virtue, such as Patience, Courage, Frugality, Kindness, etc., and attempt to apply that virtue throughout his day. Weston told me he would do the same thing. Example Kindness: he would ensure at some point in the day to be kind to a fellow human being. In Ben Franklin's view, by practising a virtue each day, he would eventually become a virtuous person. To be sure, I was impressed with the young man's intentions and wished him well. Weston is a good man.

In many countries around the world, Altruism is considered one of the most important virtues. This is a principle and moral practice of concern for happiness of other human beings, resulting in a quality of life both material and spiritual. In many cultures, Altruism is a traditional virtue, both religious and secular – it is characterised as a deep concern for the “other”. Now, finally, this brings me to - Why I care...

When I see man's inhumanity to man, that basketball manifests in the pit of my gut, and as said, a strong desire comes over me to do something about it. As a writer, I have made it my purpose to constantly point out crimes against humanity, to at least, inform the powers that be, that we are watching them. If one can push truth to power, we might have a chance at a better planet. Then again, perhaps not. The real question is, are “they” listening?

In the end, maybe I was lucky or tremendously unlucky to be born with an altruistic nature. That said, there are many virtues that spiritually, need serious consideration.

It's all a work in progress.  

Postscript: Since the on-going destruction of the Palestinian people in Gaza, I find it heartening that so many people from around the world has responded in kind: the killing must stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dir. John Cromwell – Enchanted Cottage (1945) - Comment.

  This is the first film I have ever seen that begins with a 10 minute `Overture'; the music is excellent and the composer, Max Steiner...